Page Buttons

Home About Me Food Sponsor Blog Love

Monday, April 15, 2013

Channeling Joan Harris (née Holloway)


Happy Monday y'all! I don't know about you, but I am so happy spring has finally sprung. I was able to wear skirts all weekend long, with no tights. I love this time of year! Friday night was fairly lazy, but I was able to finish up my 3rd skirt. I'm very proud of this one! Expect pictures soon.
On Saturday morning I ran the Moosic City Dairy Dash 10k. I was doing it in preparation for the half-marathon I'll be running in two weeks (EEP! SO NOT READY). I was very proud of myself on this one. I was certainly no where near the fastest person on the course, but I was happy with my time. I'm concentrating really hard on just running for me. This race was a real confidence booster. I'm just worried if it's a little deceptive because this course was really flat, and the half-marathon course is anything but. I guess I need to get some major hill training in this week. After the race Steve and I stopped by the farmer's market and picked up a bunch of starter plants and then worked on our garden. We turned over both beds and planted one. That was a very successful afternoon! On Sunday we spent the day shooting engagement photos for my friends Lauren and Matt. They are so hilarious and their pictures turned out amazing. If you are in need of some kick ass photos, Steve is always available!
Now for this outfit; it was something I wore to work last week! I feel like I was channeling Joan Harris in this look (or perhaps a filthy librarian). I won this dress in a Shabby Apple giveaway (I'm not sure as to which blog, as I feel I've entered hundreds of these). This dress is great for work since it's fairly tame. I like the fabric of the dress and love the fact that it's fully lined. The one thing I am not a big fan of is how BOXY it is in the middle. I have a shape, you just can't see it. Also, the pockets stick out so I'm pretty sure I will have to sew them down so they stop curling outward.
 Perhaps I need bigger boobs for this dress? I don't really fill it out...
Oh, and the Cherry Blossoms were in full effect in Tennessee last week. I love how they make everything so pretty. We had one day of REALLY strong rain and all the petals are now gone. It's sad how quickly they disappear. Bummer city.
 Dress: Shabby Apple
Necklace: Betsey Johnson
Shoes: Anthropolgie

16 comments:

  1. are those new glasses? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them the same time I got my blue cat eyes. They are from Specs which just moved to 5 points.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! These photos look like they're from another era, you really suit vintage/retro style

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you mean about the boxy middle of this dress, which is too bad because it's so cute! Buuuuut, it does have a waist seam, and I'll bet you a bit of darting action on that bodice will give it a really nice shape! Just ease the skirt back into the slightly smaller bodice. Tacking down those flaps will help, too.
    Was it the anchor skirt that you finished yesterday?? I can't wait to see pictures! Funny thing though, I found a ship print fabric yesterday, and starting building a dress out of it. It's red, and has anchors (and ships in little rope frames!) and is generally the louder counterpart to than anchor fabric you picked up.
    Basically, it's a good thing you live SO far away, because we would look hella obnoxious together in our selfmade duds. But if I ever make it down to Nashville, uh, that should TOTALLY happen. ALSO thank you for the creative kick in the pants. I OWNED my craft room this weekend. Hardcore.
    --Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how to successfully alter this outfit. I assume I would have to remove the bodice completely, dart it and then sew it back to the skirt? The dress is fully lined - do I just do this and sew it back on around the lining? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS OMG.

      I totally finished the anchor skirt! I used it as details for pockets in this super cute wrap skirt. I have a feeling that will be featured next week. I always go for the loud fabric!

      Umm... I say you do come down here and we can wear our coordinated seaside handmade clothes!!! What did you make this weekend?

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a fantastic weekend! I'm so in awe of your running ability. I never ever WANTED to be a runner until my cardiologist put running on my no-no list. Now it seems so badass and exotic!

    You're right about the boxy shape of the dress. And it's definitely NOT you, it's the dress. I think a pointy vintage style bullet bra would probably fill out this vintage-style dress. What do you think? I know the nuclear warhead boob look isn't for everyone, but they make vintage and vintage repro clothes look SO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could pull off the nuclear war boob I would, I would just have to stuff those suckers with tissues, socks or a cat. I got not much up top and if I try to make things look bigger I just look super funny.

      Running isn't exotic. It's painful and most of the time I have no idea why I do it.

      Delete
  5. your hair looks PERFECT here! i mean, your whole outfit is great and i love how happy these photos are. . . but i can't stop staring at your perfect bangs + bun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks girl! I hit up my favorite hairdresser last week and she greatly improved my bangs!

      Delete
  6. So strange about the cut of the dress! You're right, it does seem super box-like. The pockets and the material are so neat though. I love the Betsey necklace and the high up bun and red lipstick with this-- it makes it anything BUT boring secretary. It's fun to "Joan" up an otherwise staid outfit, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would Joan up every outfit if I could. I can only take it so far at work before it gets just a tad bit slutty.

      Delete
  7. You are totally channeling Joan! You look really great in this pictures and you did a good job of hiding the dress flaws with your cute poses :) I can't wait to see the new skirt you've made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. The dress does have some flaws! I really should figure out how to alter it. Perhaps I should have just thrown a belt on it and called it a day!

      Delete
  8. Love the necklace with this dress - and the red lip & up do just perfect it! :)

    <3 Megan
    http://kiddotv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips